Many members and staff work remotely on their computers from home and other locations by using a vpn (virtual private network) connection to chambers and then using the Microsoft Remote Desktop connection software to connect to the pc. If it is not working -
- Is your Internet connection definitely working? Try browsing to BBC news.
(This can the the source of many problems).
- Can other staff or the clerks confirm that your pc is switched on at work/Chambers with the Windows screen visible (ie not sat at an encryption password prompt)?
(Power settings may have switched it off or a windows update may have rebooted it; if your pc is encrypted it will sit at the password prompt and not come back up).
- Has this recently been set up? Could your remote pc power settings have put it in sleep mode
- Are you connecting in from a new location (eg. hotel) that has more restrictions on outgoing connections?
(Have you got a vpn connection to work/chambers)?
- If you get to the logon prompt, your password is not being accepted and you are using a laptop, please check that Numlock is not causing your password to be entered incorrectly.
(You can type your password in the username just to view it is typing correctly).
If the above found the issue, some further actions -
- We can look to adjust the power settings to stop the computer going into sleep mode.
- We can adjust the windows update settings to ensure eg. it only applies updates mid-week.
- We can help you create an icon on your desktop with your username/password saved to simplify connection.