If E-mail to your smartphone has stopped or is only working intermittently there are a few basic checks you can easily do yourself.
- Check that you can surf the Internet on your phone - start the phone web browser and try browsing to something like www.bbc.co.uk. This confirms that you have an Internet connection on your phone and that you have an Internet service through your provider.
- Switch your phone off and then back on again. Note the phone must be powered off. Your phone is just like any other computer and occasionally things will stop working. A restart is the quickest and easiest way to check this. If you have a Blackberry we also recommend you take the battery out and put it back in again.
- Try sending an E-mail to yourself and then to another account. If you can send E-mail successfully but not receive then this may indicate a problem with the E-mail service. Try restarting your phone (see above) and if there is still a problem check with the E-mail provider (or us if it is 15 New Bridge Street E-mail).
- If none of the above work, most E-mail services offer a web-based method for checking your E-mail, try that from a PC or other computer - this will confirm whether the problem is with your phone or the E-mail service itself.
- If the problem is with the phone it may be necessary to remove the E-mail configuration from your phone and re-add it again. Check with your E-mail provider (or use the configuration guidance available elsewhere in the Gateway) for the details you need.
If you need further help, please try all of the above and make a note of what worked and what didn't. Please also note any error messages etc. encountered and then contact us.