If you need to take a backup of your 15 New Bridge Street E-mail then Microsoft Outlook can be used to download the E-mail into a Personal Folder (PST) file. Here were explain how to take a backup of your E-mail using Microsoft Oulook 2010. If you are using a different version of Outlook the steps are almost identical.
- Make sure that where you will be backing up to has enough space to store the backup. In most cases you will need at least 5-10GB of free space.
- It is strongly recommended that you perform the backup whilst in the 15 New Bridge Street office.
- Depending on the amount of information and the performance of your PC, a backup could take an hour or more to complete.
- Start Microsoft Outlook and make sure you are "online" with the E-mail server
- From the File menu, choose Options...
- Click the Advanced option down the left-hand side.
- Click the Export button under the Export group on the right-hand side.
- The Import and Export Wizard is started.
- From the list of actions choose "Export to a file" and click the Next button.
- From the list of file types, choose "Outlook Data File (.pst)" and click the Next button.
- You will now be shown your mailbox and the folders is contains.
- To backup your entire mailbox, click once on your name at the top of the list or
- To backup a specific folder (e.g. Sent Items), scroll down and click once on the folder name.
- Make sure the "Include subfolders" option is checked and click the Next button to continue.
- Use the Browse button to set where the backup will be created and give it a name (e.g. my_email.pst).
- Finally click the Finish button.
- You will now be prompted for an optional password which can be used to protect your backup, if you do enter and confirm a password if desired.
- Click the OK button to being the backup.
- Progress will be shown as the backup works through the items and you can cancel the backup at any time.
- If you have a large mailbox either in size or the number of items it contains it may take several hours to complete.
- You will not be able to use Outlook until the backup has completed or been cancelled.
To open your E-mail you will need to use Microsoft Outlook again.
- Start Microsoft Outlook.
- From the File menu, choose Open.
- Navigate to the folder where you stored your backup file.
- Click to select the file and then click the Open button.
- Your backup will appear as a new group on the left-hand side of the Outlook window.
- Double-click the group name to expand the contents and then click on folder to see the contents.
End of article