BarCAT is an easy to use system that allows Chambers to meet it obligations for advising lay clients of their right to complain. In this short article we show you how to import cases from the LEX Chambers Management System into BarCAT.
Before you begin importing cases from LEX into BarCAT you should ensure that you have added all the barristers for your Chambers. If a barrister is missing the case will not be imported.
LEX can provide a list of recently received cases which we can then import into BarCAT as follows:
- Log in to LEX.
- From the LEX Start menu, choose System and then Reporting.
- Choose the Fee Analysis Report.
- Provide the Start and End Dates (eg. yesterday).
- Leave Teams, Barristers, Companies and Created By empty
- For Case Types, choose Civil
- In Fee Codes, choose .LEXBRF and .LEXINS
- In Partial Fee Description type "received"
- Click Generate.
- Once generated, click the Excel icon (right-hand side) to open the report.
Your Excel Workbook will contain 2 or 3 sheets – we just need the .LEXBRF and, if included, the .LEXINS worksheet. The REPORT TOTALS worksheet can be ignored.
- Log into BarCAT.
- Click Import from the top menu
- Go back to Excel and the .LEXBRF worksheet
- Select the whole worksheet and choose Copy from the Excel menu/ribbon.
- Return to BarCAT, right-click in the Import Cases box and choose Paste.
- BarCAT will now process the report adding the cases found.
If you have a .LEXINS worksheet in your Excel report, return to Excel, copy that worksheet and Import into BarCAT as above.
On importing, BarCAT will look up the solicitors Email address against those it already has a record of. Those cases where a match cannot be found will be marked as "Held" and you will need to review those cases and provide the missing information.
- Click Home (top left) to view the Cases list.
- Click "On Hold" to view those that have been imported.
- Cases with the status of "Held" are missing information.
- For each case with missing information, click the name of the solicitor.
- Add the email address (if you can find it. If not skip and fill in later) .
- Click Update to save the updated details.
Once the cases have been imported and any missing details provided you are ready to send out your notifications
- Choose the "On Hold" cases view (don’t worry about held ones – they will be ignored),
- Tick the cases to be notified on left-hand side or tick the top box to select call cases.
- From the Action drop down at the bottom of the list of cases choose "Send notification"
- Tick the Confirm box.
- Click the OK button.
- BarCAT will now proces each case, checking any notification preferences for the solicitor and where appropriate notifying them.